I heard this conversation today. It appalled me.
Lady A, was describing to Ladies B and C this piece of footage she'd seen on the tv. She said it was a muslim man cutting off the head of a soldier. I assume she meant that the soldier was western in appearance. I'm not sure why she imagined the assailant must be muslim. Because religion, as insane as it is, does not appear as a physical characteristic. What I must assume, is that she meant the man was an arab.
But it got worse. She started describing what they were doing before they murdered him, and was saying that they were shouting and talking to each other, 'in muslim'. In muslim??? Are you kidding? So you mean in Arabic then. Arghhhhhh!
I cannot articulate how much this stresses me out. Why is it, in her mind, okay to say 'muslim language' but not describe English as 'Christian language'? You don't have to be foreign to be muslim! It's a belief! Millions of Indians are Christian, for example! It's just an idea! It isn't something you're born with and must die with. For fuck's sake! I don't often use exclamation marks, but seriously. Does she not have a brain?
I realise how harsh and awful I sound, but it makes me really really upset that people don't even think through what they're saying, or what they've heard and are repeating.
They proceded to use extremist language. Lots of thems and theys. And were complaining about how minority groups get offended when fun is had at their expense. I for one do get irritated by the fact that Muslim groups do tend to overreact to things (for example when the cartoon of Mohammed was printed and all hell broke loose). Because lots of people poke fun at images of Jesus and stuff and no one bats an eyelid. Even when Jerry Springer the opera came out, no one threatened the lives of the people staging it.
So I do see the point that some groups do overreact more than others. However, they then started rationalising this opinion by saying that 'gays make fun of themselves'. Even if this is true (have they surveyed any homosexual populations?) why does that mean others can make fun of them?
Then they concluded by saying that essentially, they should just accept that people are going to have a pop, because they are in a minority.
Welcome, victims of torture, refugees, asylum seekers. You are in a minority. In Britain, this means we can make fun of you as much as we want, and you can't complain. Okay?
Jesus.
I really hate that I get on with these people. And in other situations they're perfectly agreeable, lovely people. It's just (as if just is the right word) if you're of another race that they become irrational and ridiculous.
God.
There is so much more that I could say on this issue. But I should sleep. So I can go to work and not be tired and lose my rag if more of this shit comes up.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment